Here are our top five reasons to choose cloth nappies:
1. Cost: it’s estimated you will save £500 using cloth rather than disposables until your child is potty trained* more if you reuse them if you have another baby, or if you buy them second hand.
2. Baby’s comfort: you don’t choose paper pants for yourself, do you? So why put your baby in paper and plastic disposables when the could have lovely, colourful and comfortable cotton or bamboo fibre nappies next to their skin.
3. Environment: did you know that 450,000 disposable nappies are sent to landfill every day in Scotland alone**? Using cloth reusable nappies can massively reduce waste and your carbon footprint.
4. It’s easy! With all the additional washing you have with a baby anyway, it’s not really much extra hassle. And you don’t need a tumble drier, they dry fairly quickly on the line or indoors.
5. There are so many options with cloth nappies these days, you are sure to find the right type of cloth nappy for your baby.
So why not give them a try. If you’re in the Edinburgh area, get in touch with our volunteer-run Nappy Community for advice and nappy sales.
* Changeworks ‘Guide to using real nappies’, April 2017, https://www.changeworks.org.uk/sites/default/files/Changeworks%20Real_Nappies_Guide_2017-18.pdf,
** Scottish Government, June 2012 http://www.zerowastescotland.org.uk/content/nappy-days